Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 09:02:35 -0500
It is not "their" means of escape.  Jim was not aware that he would need
Huck's assistance when he made his prophesy.  And, as Jim well knows, Huck
is not escaping from anything since his father is dead, and perhaps even
drifting downstream.  Why Jim withholds information is obvious.  But to
tell a child that he will be hanged is sick.

Jim makes a fine, "politically correct", hero for the novel unless you pay
attention to his behavior.

>                                        What is he foreshadowing for Huck
> later in the story?  How will Huck be "hung?"

Jim may be predicting an event which happens after Huck completes his
story and leaves for the Territory, but Twain never completes his St.
Petersburg tales, and we never learn how Huck dies.

larry marshburne            [log in to unmask]