From:
Ioram Melcer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 13:18:24 +0200
Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum. After a very extensive ride in the internet maze, I
ran into your list. I was looking for material regarding the 'lost' episode
from Chapter 9 of Huck Finn. I am an Israeli writer working on an article
for one of the major Israeli newspapers. My article will tell the readers
something about the HF controversy over the years (from 1885 to 1995...),
and also about the 'lost' episode. I read it in The New Yorker of July 3rd
1995 as you all must have done. Still, I was surprised to find no material
about the text they published, neither in The New Yorker (I would have
expected them to do more than kust give the text) nor in the Net. I
downloaded this forum's material from 7/95 and 8/95, but again - nothing.
I would appreciate if some of you experts helped me in this.

- Why was the episode omitted? By whom?
- What influence will it have on the HF debate in the US?
- Where exactly does it fit in Chapter 9? It's not clear to me, at least.
- Do you know of anyone having written about the discovery of this episode?

Naturally, every piece of information will help me in solving the puzzle.
In my searches, I have found a lot of material which will interest Israeli
readers (e.g. the essay about Archimede - which I now plan to translate and
publish here). I will keep you posted about the developments and hope also
to post a translation of my article, once it's published (well... I write
in Hebrew).

Thanks for helping me out, and feel free to e-mail me at:

Yours,

Ioram Melcer