Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 09:11:22 -0500
Thanks to Bob for keeping us appraised of what is being written about
Twain.

It will be interesting to see if scholarship produces any other evidence
of Twain ever owning or playing any guitar.  Fifty years is a long time to
own a guitar without a single surviving photograph (containing both Twain
and the guitar) or a relevant notebook entry or letter.  Perhaps someone
(Bob?) would persuade the Guitar Player editors to share their sources.
Regardless of the results, an inquiry might yield valuable insight into
perceptions of Twain.

Meanwhile, we should be careful not to lend credence to what has many of
the earmarks of accidental fiction.

I'm reminded of a book that Twain had "owned" which I bought from a
reputable dealer.  Only thing about the book was that the owner's
signature, "Mark Twain", was a forgery. (Yes, the dealer did take the book
back.)

I'll buy the pedantic beverage, or tip the guitar player, for the one who
finds more evidence that Twain did, or didn't, own and play the guitar.

Harmoniously yours, larry marshburne    [log in to unmask]