From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:19:00 EDT
This message from Joanne King of Killaloe Community Resource Centre is being
re-posted due to continuing address problems [which I am trying to sort
out... the job of a volunteer list-owner/facilitator is a constant learning
process! alison ;-)  ]

>that apparent fact that adults who start smoking at (say) 18+ have a very
high probability of quiting, whereas kids of (say) 12-16 who start smoking
have a very low probability of quitting.>

I had not heard this before and find it very distressing! I agree that we
need to involve our youth more in their own health determination. One
unanticipated and exciting aspect of our recent Tobacco Reduction Project
was a series of skits developed by youth at the local high school. Calling
themselves the "Mad Valley Smoke Free Players" and supported by project
coordinator Lani Harbrecht and the Coalition for a Tobacco Free Renfrew
County, this group wrote, and delivered the series of skits to schools in
our area, during National Non-Smoking Week.  I think that we need to more of
this and start at even younger ages - obviously!

Thanks for posting the info Sam!

Joanne King, Community Resource Centre (Killaloe) Inc.
(613) 757-3108 (voice) 757-0208 (fax) [log in to unmask]