From:
HUMRSPRI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 13:37:31 -0400
Can i support S. Lanfrancs recent comments. This interplay between
professionalisation and the broader agenda of the challanges to power
that a social contructionist model of health promotion presents has its
parallels in other areas. It is interesting how the status quo uses the
lifestyle model to contain the issues that are brought on to the
agenda very much in line with Lukes various models of power.  For the
committed socially minded health promoter ( professional?) there are
really four alternatives 1) keep quiet and keep your job 2) facilitate
change through various "subversive" ways e.g popular education ( Friere)
direct action and other vehicles of empowerment or manipulate with
others the channels of power . All this involves faciliating the process
which by definition means that if you are successful everyone believes
they have done it themselves and you are invisible anyway so therefore
you are not perceived as a health promoter. 3) do something else and
still view yourself as a health promoter.4) Quit.

In three out of four cases health promotion or the health promoter
disappears , although you could argue we all become health promoters.
This does not bode well for health promotion but it does for everyone
else who do not bother with self refelction self criticism and the
disempowered .
I am not sure I am making sense her but I have just been on a
conference on emerging approaches to cooperative enquiry which only
seved to make me realise that in conveying an experience or a
felling/thought into language is very difficult with the original
getting ditorted in the process.

Jane Springett Institute for Health LJMU UK