Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:17:00 -0500
> We are seeking a Research Coordinator for a 3-year SSHRC-funded project on
> the role of hospitals in community development initiatives with community
> groups that address the determinants of health beyond the hospital walls.

While I am not looking for a job, I did find this research project an
interesting one.  Would it be appropriate to assume that a component of this
research would be assessment of and identification of the overlap with
mandates of other organizations such as public health, and collaborative
efforts that could benefit all?  I find it somewhat disconcerting that the
public health system struggles with adequate funding to fulfill the mandate
it has in this area while hospitals are seemly branching out and have
funding available to do this type of work.

I do support a more sytemic approach as this is the only truly effective way
to address detern\minants of health issues, but it strikes me that we are
building more silos with overlapping functions all the time.
Joyce Fox