From:
Debbie Bang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 16:29:13 -0500
Item Subject: Message text
Eberhard Wenzel ... I hope you have made your comments "tongue in cheek"!

I quote ... "What can electronic participation in the Jakarta Conference
> possibly accomplish? To comment on what papers are given or what
> recommendations are decided upon?"

WHO may relate to government but it works on behalf on PEOPLE.  Guiding
principles of health promotion include equity and access for all, without which
PEOPLE can not increase control of their health and the factors (determinants)
that affect and effect it.

As all are well aware, it is very difficult to make decisions / declarations
with collective voices from across the world.  Much easier to do it with a few
"respresentative voices".  HOWEVER ... voices from the world could be poled at
the same time as delegates, electronically.  The ultimate decision would still
rest with the delegates but input could be rapidly collected through electronic
means (read e-mail or web site).  A bias sample to be sure, but many minds make
better decisions.

Dissemination of the declaration(s) would also occur much more quickly if those
implementing the direction were involved in deciding the direction.  We have the
technology ... I for one, think we should use it!!

Debbie Bang
Coordinator/Researcher
St. Joseph s Community Health Centre
Consumer Health Information Centre