From:
Ed Blonz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:03:05 -0800
I realize that this is a field in which you devote much effort, but I do not
read this from these findings.  It is a bit of a stretch to take such data
and twist it being into an smear against the poor.

Granted those with fewer resources may be at greater risk for certain
cancers, but this story was on data collected regarding diet and physical
activity.  I have not seen the data and do not know the extend of the
statistical analyses.  In this story there was no mention of an analysis
regarding level of income, so I question the validity of projecting these
findings simply because it fits a pattern that you might ascribe to; unless,
of course, you are privy to such an analyses. The story relates to higher
risk of cancer in 30% of Canadian adults.  Is it your contention that these
the 30% of Canadians with the lowest income and those you describe below
that are on the outs of society?   Are these the ones represented by the
data?  In the actual study it was found that diet was affected by income,
with those at lower income tending to have a lower intake of fruits and
vegetables, but a reverse trend was seen with physical activity, with higher
incomes having lower physical activity.

This is a difficult issue and my intent is not to pick an argument, it is
just that the connection between diet, activity and risk of cancer is not a
new. There are a number of risk factors that include exposure to pollutants,
air quality, etc, but this study looked at diet and activity.   What would
you expect to do with such data?  Suppress it because it might be taken out
of context and offend?  The ideal would be to collect sufficient data to be
able to control for salient factors, and to make conclusions that consider
the relevant confounds.   In a similar fashion it is essential to
investigate the role played by other factors, including access to
appropriate health care and screenings and interventions to see what effects
they are having.

Regards,

Ed Blonz