From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 17:55:25 -0400
My concern was that the original person in question has said that she was
"preparing a presentation on health promotion" and then went on to limit her
request to a) nutrition, b) smoking, and c) activity.  It seemed to me that this was a
limited view of health promotion.  If she had said that she was preparing a
"presentation on lifestyle change" then her request would have been more
understandable and I would not have taken issue with her definition of "health
promotion".

Having stated all of this it is clear that Harvey Skinner and Michel O'Neill, no
slouches in the health promotion department, are well aware of the dangers of
limiting the definition of health promotion to lifestyle changes that ignore the
contextual factors that influence our individual behaviours.

Indeed, I would assume that Harvey Skinner's upcoming book titled something like
Lifestyle Behaviours and Change -- to be published by Sage Publications -- will
recognize the reciprocal determinism of all of our behaviours.

Hopefully, nobody is disturbed anymore.

Best wishes,

Dennis Raphael