From:
Judy Quail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 21:56:20 -0800
In "Health Online" by Tom Ferguson one really gets a sense of how the
electronic venue can further the self help movement which has done alot to
equalize the playing field in health matters. This book, by the way, is very
reader friendy (it has alot of heart) and one really gets a sense of the
potential of this venue for "community".  There is not only a breakdown of
barriers but there is also a shifting of responsibility that needs to take
place in a supported way.  (There is a conference coming up in February/97
in Vermont called The Information Connection:  Emerging Technologies Linking
Patients and Providers http://uvmce.uvm.edu:443/infoconn.htm.  Tom Ferguson
is a keynote speaker.)

Regarding the have's and have not's in accessing and using technology, I
know that our libraries out here (Victoria) will soon offer free internet
access.  Educational programs in schools should!! be teaching our kids how
to use the technology but are they teaching about it's potential for use in
health?
If you have the know how and you have the motivation, I believe you can
access the equipement.  There are barriers to people who do have the
education and the money and the support to using the technology too (not
only in terms of time and energy but also in terms of becoming a principle
investigator or taking charge of one's own health instead of being
administered to/taken care of).

Judi Quail <[log in to unmask]>