From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:51:00 EDT
It has been an interesting day for me to read through three weeks of
CLICK4HP messages and see the increase in subscribers and in dialogue on the
uses of this medium for health promotion work.

To begin, I'd like to clarify the role of facilitators of the list-serv as
compared to a moderator or manager of a list-serv. As co-facilitators, Liz
Rykert (now off for 3 weeks vacation) and I (Alison Stirling) our role is to
assist people in posting, sort out problems with subscriptions, see what
topics are emerging and suggest some threads for discussion. We do NOT
choose or control what gets posted on the list-serv and what does not -
 that is done by list-serv managers or moderators.  Dennis Raphael recently
commented "Who is to decide what is relevant and what isn't?".  The question
is a good one - and we, as facilitators would like to turn it over to YOU,
the participants in this list-serv to discuss.

Related to the WHO and WHAT of content is the actual use of the list-serv.
 When we set up CLICK4HP it was as a [short-term] place for discussion of
the uses of computer-mediated communication and the Internet in Health
Promotion, as a prelude to the CPHA conference.  Very quickly it became
clear that there are many things that people turn to list-servs for - to
seek information, to provide information and to work together, in many
different ways. Now that the conference is over and the list-serv is still
quite active, it is a good time to review what our various interests are in
the list-serv.

The recent discussions on the uses of CLICK4HP list-serv have suggested a
variety of processes:
 "infomercials", announcements, and other broadcasts;
information exchange (such as the queries on workplace health promotion);
discussion, debate and dialogue; and
mixes or combinations of the above.

What function does [should?] CLICK4HP - Health Promotion on the Internet
  serve for you?
How could it be done differently?
What should the relationship be with other list-servs on health promotion
(such as the one facilitated by Bo Haglund at the Karolinska Institute in
Sweden; or the one coordinated by the Monash University Health Promotion
program in Australia)?

I'm looking forward to the continuing discussion!

Alison Stirling  <[log in to unmask]>