From:
Alan McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 09:07:49 -0800
Aha! A topic to stir this listserve which has been fairly quiet the last
few months. I have not sent a message to this forum for a while, but
would like to engage in this lively discussion.

I find myself agreeing with Dennis' and Alana's comments to some degree,
but also find issue with some comments. As a health promoter in
Hamilton-Wentworth, and the husband of a teacher who fought Harris'
education reforms, I am very much in disagreement with the torie's
policies and firmly believe they marginalize the poor and the
disadvantaged. However, I think as intelligent and savy professionals,
we must look at current realities. Governments in general do not listen
to yelling, especially from what they would term "special interests".
Look at the teacher's strike - it raised public awareness, but did not
change policy in the end. As a policy analyst, I feel the Ontario
Teacher's Federation made a major blunder - not being proactive in time
periods that were not critical. All they did was react. Why not form a
steering committee to recommend their own education reforms (hire
consultants, engage in public forums)? Why not make teachers look good
with PR demonstrating the long hours that the majority of these hard
working folks put in year to year (case in point - my wife worked about
15 hours this past weekend, and does this most weekends preparing and
marking class material).

My point is this - you must learn to adapt to governments and what works
within these power circles. Another case in point - why do you think the
tobacco industry has been so successful in influencing government - tax
rollbacks, sponsorships etc.. they hire past insiders and lobbyists to
make their voice.

I agree however, that you must pick your battles. Raise your voice and
demonstrate if all else fails, or combine it with innovative strategy. A
final example - Parents for Quality Education (I think that's what they
were called) did an excellent job during the strike to get media, get
their point across. The green ribbon campaign proliferated across this
province. This was non-confrontational (to an extent), and had a huge
impact.

At this point, I think it is fruitless to "Harris-bash". Talk to people
outside of government or the non-profit sector - they generally approve
of the Tories - especially outside of T.O. And unfortunately, they'll
probably get back in, because they will claim they followed through on
all their promises and got the economy going. People WILL forget, unless
we take creative action. Make people remember. Campaign for a candidate
you feel will protect those who need protecting. Vote with your feet!!

Alan McFarlane, MHK
Vice-Chair
Health Promotion Ontario (public health)