From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 16:23:16 -0500
As one of the founders of CLICK4HP I would like to observe that the recent
comments on the potential for information and communication technology
(ICT) to further marginalize the already marginalized (as well as help
marginalize academics, social workers, health professionals and others
others who thought they had made it into the middle class) take on a very
different color depending on where they (the comments) come from.

Academics are quick to point out (a) that this can widen the gap, and (b)
we shouldn't be seduced by technology. Having said their piece they
usually relapse into silence or net-chat (net-chatter) on their favorite
academic or professional subjects.

Those on the margins on the other hand, see ICT as a territory for
advances, and a territory where they will have to fight their old enemies.
They make the same list of concerns as 'we the more privileged' then they
set about to (a) try to level the playing field a bit (ignoring it is not
an option), (b) learn how to use it to their advantage, and (c) prepare
for the battles that will be enjoined in these virtual territories.

For anyone would like to see how labour and human rights are struggling in
this area get a log file from our LABOR-L (Labour and the Global Economy)
or DATPERS (Dalit and Tribal Peoples Electronic Resource Site) and read
what is going re: Indonesia, Disney and its global workforce, and ask how
these struggles would be carried out in the absence of this venue. We have
just succeeded in getting the UN to put India on the spot in terms of its
human rights record with regard to Dalits/Untouchables. We didn't do it
just with email and internet access but it would have been harder -from
here and from India- to do it without the electronic venue. We did do it
without funding!

One can get those log files (large for LABOR-L, small for DAPTERS) by
sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the following line in the body
of the message for the November 96 LABOR-L logfile

get labor-l log9611

or

the following message for the October and November DATPERS logfile

get datpers log9610
get datpers log9611

-------
One might be lead to believe - watching academic discussions in the
electronic venue - that we cannot see its role as a social workspace
- Maybe we think the purpose of studying history, or current events -
is to have a 5 second sound-clip opinion that always ends with "..watch
out!". Some long-dead thinker suggested that the purpose of studying
anything is to make or change it, history included.

Our work with untouchable groups inside and outside India is to work with
them to change history. Anyone who is unaware of what is going on at those
front is allowing the local newspaper and TV to be their window on a world
while their skills and training tell them they should take a more
demanding stance.

The answers may not be "blowing in the wind" but there are many who see
the stakes too high to leave the electronic venue to others.

The Distributed Knowledge Project (DKProj) which is the nominal 'home' for
CLICK4HP, DATPERS, LABOR-L and about 30 other such lists has as its motto:
"Knowledge for All" It also believes that expert knowledge only works when
it is tempered by local wisdom. It sees this venue as both an opportunity
and a challenge. On to the making of history, both large and small.

Sam Lanfranco, <[log in to unmask]>