From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 07:30:41 -0500
The following comes from the moring CBC news in Ottawa. It is a sign of
where our government is going - and it is important that Canadians have
measured and informed views - to influence policy - and not just bet on
the goodness or badness of proposed policies.

[INSERT: Just as I was typing this our Foreign Minister Loyd Axworthy came
on the news talking about Canada as a global "knowledge broker" and citing
a report by Maurice Strong (a Taskforce for the Fed. Gov't) suggested that
15% of the Canadian CIDA (ODA) budget be devoted to ICT oriented
activities. Already - in 12 hours - OXFAM and the Reform Party in the
House of Commons have said "good idea" - with support from the left and
the right you can be sure it will be an election plank when the Canadian
government hands down its election budget early next year.]
-
Expect this motion to spill over into the Health portfolio as well. The
issue for Health Promotion is "Will we have good ideas, or will we abandon
the field to those with other motives?"

Sam Lanfranco, Distributed Knowledge Project (DKProj) <[log in to unmask]>