From:
Cathy Crowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 11:42:39 -0500
>Subject: CBC commentary
>
>Here is the text of a CBC radio commentary that aired last week.
>
>"The other day one of our front-line nurses told me she'd been mesmerized
by television coverage of the ice storm. She had felt a strong urge to head
east and volunteer to help. This particular nurse has a lot of experience
with people in crisis, in shelters and in drop-in centres. She works with
the poor and the homeless in downtown Toronto.

>In fact, that's why she decided to stay--because there's a crisis here too.
She's optimistic that the experiences of the past few weeks will open
people's eyes and hearts to the day-to-day misery of the homeless. I hope so.

>I've worked in Ontario inner cities for more than 20 years - as a community
worker, sometimes on housing issues and for the past decade or so, as a
community health centre administrator. I used to think that in urban Canada
the work "poverty" applied to people living in rooming houses or housing
projects. Now, those people appear to be among the better off.

>The United Way says 28,000 people use Metro Toronto emergency shelters.
That figure doesn't include the growing numbers living on the streets, in
abandoned buildings and under bridges. So people in subsidized housing don't
appear so poor any more - at least they have a roof over their
heads...albeit in sometimes dangerously over crowded and unhealthy conditions.

>People usually come to our community health centre because of a health
problem. But we're seeing more and more people with frostbite, bronchitis,
pneumonia and tuberculosis -- illnesses that occur more frequently in those
who live on the street and in shelters. They can't afford the prescription
drugs necessary to improve their condition.

>In one week, recently among other things, we treated three people for
burns, because they were sleeping outside on heating grates and gave away
three van-loads full of sleeping bags that were donated.

>So, in addition to providing medical care, we're increasingly forced to
provide for some of the necessities of daily life. We keep food on hand for
those who clearly haven't eaten for days. We have converted one room to
store donated clothing. When we can, we hand out diapers, tampons,
toothpaste and toothbrushes.

>In the wake of the Depression, my parents' generation created a system of
shared responsibility, of shared support. They felt strongly that people in
need should not have to forfeit their human dignity and go begging to meet
their basic needs.

>The ice storm precipitated a real crisis in Quebec and eastern Ontario. But
there is a crisis here where I work as well. Too many people are suffering
and getting sick for want of the basic necessities of life.