From:
Alan McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 09:27:19 -0400
I am interested in the discussion surrounding promotion on the internet.
As a Tobacco Use Prevention Promoter, I am always concerned about stop
smoking programs that may look "fishy" ie. hypnosis, laser therapy etc..
I received a personal message requesting my "snail mail" address from. I
think, oxyquit. However, instead of being disturbed by this (they
obviously gleened my position from this listserve) I gave them the
address. Part of my job is to consider all options, as long as they are
based on validated, evaluated research and practice. I expect that there
will be no scientific evidence that such a program works, but I think it
is important to keep an open mind, especially in this medium. However, on
the other hand, I think there is potential for abuse of the internet..
we are already seeing "junk e-mail" just like junk mail. So it's really
just like any other mode of communication, but so new that there is a
debate about it's merits. Diffusion of innovation?

Regards,

AM

Alan J. McFarlane, Tobacco Use Prevention Promoter
Department of Public Health Services
25 Main St. W. Hamilton, ON . L8N 3P6
(905) 546-2549 ; (905) 528-2205 (Fax)