Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:41:32 MST
     Hello,

     I am also writing for the first time to the listserv although I have
     been lurking for at least a year.  I find the discussion stimulating
     and informative.  At present Alberta (my home) is preparing to
     proclaim legislation pertaining to living wills, called the Personal
     Directives Act.  I am looking for a validated survey questionaire
     addressing the issue of quality of life for people who write or not
     write a personal directive.  The intent of this legislation is to
     allow autonomy and self-determination for control over future
     decisionmaking.

     The objective of the survey is to determine what influences people to
     write or not write a personal directive and satisfaction  For my PhD
     proposal I am considering researching the utilization of services in
     the last year of life for people with and without an advance
     directive.  A similar study was done in the U.S. that found no
     difference in length of stay, treatments offered and decisions made
     when comparing the two groups.  As there is a public perception that
     advance directives "save money in Health care costs", I believe it
     would be a good study.  Any thoughts on this type of research are
     welcome.  Any insight to a survey questionaire would be most helpful.

Thank you
Deborah St.Arnaud
EMAIL [log in to unmask]