From:
Karyn Pomerantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 21:52:47 -0500
I'm very glad to see David Burman's message about the Iraq war on this
listserv.  It is truly an issue pertinent to health promotion!

There is a great deal of evidence that this conflict centers on the
control of oil and the control of competitors in this market.  The United
States is in a much weaker position than it was years ago.  The Saudi and
Israeli governments are not as cooperative; the Russians, French and
Chinese are horning in on oil deals the US had controlled.

This will only make the US attack more vicious.  The US is not bluffing.
It's important for health promoters and workers of all countries to oppose
this war because it causes great damage to the people of the middle east
and it does not serve our interests in the least.  This is not about
weapons or a crazy dictator.

For an excellent analysis of the oil politics within the US and between US
and other national interests, see the Progressive Labor
Party's web site, www.plp.org.  This site offers numerous articles on this
crisis as well as a revolutionary outlook on ending the conditions that
lead to such wars.

It would be useful to hear how people are organizing against war in their
communities.

take care, karyn

Karyn L. Pomerantz
Himmelfarb Library and SPHHS,