From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:44:00 EDT
Jean Fremont just sent a message to CLICK4HP in response to Elise Davis'
enquiry about the Health Canada "Vitality" program.  Jean's message preceded
my own by moments.  I am delighted that our information exchange on this
list-serv is working so well.

After Elise had posted her message several people on the list tried to reply
to the message and send suggestions to Elise through the list. However three
of those messages "bounced back" as error messages because they had left the
"From", "Subject" and "To" fields from the original message in the text of
their reply, thus confusing the automated list-serv about who the message
was intended for.  As well, one of the replies was meant to go to Elise
Davis directly, but because her e-mail address was not in the text of her
message, the person replying did not know how to reach her - so was sending
the response to the entire list.  The next message to be posted to CLICK4HP
by the list-facilitators (myself, Liz Rykert and Sam Lanfranco) will be some
guidelines for posting messages to make it easier for everyone.

The three messages that did not successfully get posted to the list were
pointing to ParticipAction for more information about the Vitality program.
 I called ParticipAction to check on whether they were still posting Public
Service Announcements about Vitality, as they had in 1993.  I was told that
they had 'returned' the program to Health Canada in 1994, and that contact
was Louise Aubrey at the Nutrition Programs Unit, Health Promotion and
Programs Branch, Health Canada.

There have been some excellent contacts and information exchanges that have
occurred because of this single enquiry:

* The three messages that didn't get posted were followed up and contributed
to the suggestions on how to make it easier to post replies.

* ParticipAction is interested in CLICK4HP and is pleased to receive updated
information about the Vitality program, and a renewed link with it.

* Not only did we receive correct referral quickly from Ms. Fremont, we've
learned from her signature file about the Nutrition Resources Bulletin
list-serv.

* Several suggestions were received about promoting CLICK4HP among health
promotion practitioners across Ontario through District Health Councils and
public health units, and across Canada through other networks.
* We also learned that the Community Health Promotion Network -Atlantic
Region is preparing to set up an electronic discussion group on health
promotion in the region, using Click4hp as a model.

These exchanges are indicative of increasing activity on this list-servs and
others.  I am looking forward to seeing more discussion on line!

Alison Stirling, co-facilitator CLICK4HP