From:
andy hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:47:21 -0500
I'm all with Jack Cady on _Joan_, a grand accomplishment worthy of much more
critical care than has flowed its way.  The novel suffers far less from
sentimentality than it is reputed to, except compared with other Twain
novels.
There's been next to nothing on print on _Joan_ -- a handful of articles and
occasional brief references in general books -- until the past few years,
when
J. D. Stahl and Peter Stoneley turned their attention to it.  Both used it
well
 in service of their hypotheses, but there still remains a pile of work to
do
in more fundamental critical study.  None of which I have time for now.
Natch.
 Still, I will happily drink beer -- that word again! -- with anyone willing
 talk about _Joan_, and buy for anyone writing an article.  Even Wesley
Britton

Andy Hoffman