Sender:
From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:26:53 PST
Dear friends, I hope you'll order a copy and pass this message along to
friends:

This week, my book, "Homelessness: the making and unmaking of a crisis",
has been published by Penguin Canada and the McGill Institute.

The book outlines the rapidly growing problem of homeless in Canada based
on personal experiences and new, unpublished data from across the country.
You can also find analysis of how Canadians came to be faced with this
terrible situation.  Finally, solutions developed by the best housing minds
in Canada are pulled together into a comprehensive set of solutions based
on a new National Housing Policy.  I have had so much help from so many of
you in preparing this work.  Many thanks to all.  Let's hope it makes a
difference.

My royalties from the book ($1 / book) will be given to the National
Homelessness Coalition composed of community groups across the country -
so you'll be helping them out if you buy!

How to Order:

1. On-Line: You can order the book off the net through www.indigo.ca or
other on-line booksellers.  For indigo.ca - just type in author:  "Layton"
and title: "Homelessness". For chapters.ca, it's more difficult -  search
'author' for Layton, and it's on the third or fourth page of the list,
(well along the list after Irving ...).

2. In Person: The volume should be on the shelves of the independent
stores like "Pages" or "The Other Bookstore" by December 14th.  Larger
chains should have the book a week or two later.

Leave you comments on my web site:  www.jacklayon.com..  There's a
picture of the cover there too, some powerful photos are in the book as well.

If you purchase the book directly from me, the Homelessness Coalition will
recieve not only my royalties but the difference between the retail and the
wholesale price (i.e. about $6 - $7).  Let me know by e-mail if you are
interested:  [log in to unmask]  We're working out mailing and payment
arrangements just now.

A "launching" will be happening in early January, details still to come.

Thanks,  Jack.
***
Here's what people are saying about the book: "Homelessness"

" An intensely honest and thoroughly documented book about living and
dying on the streets.  And about the crafted ruthlessness of economics, the
casual cruelty of politics, the conviction and courage of those who fight
back."
    Mel Watkins, Professor Emeritus of Economics and Political Science,
University of Toronto

"Homelessness used to be an issue during times of severe economic
depression - now it's always with us, even during boom times.  Today's
homeless population includes and alarming number of children, mothers,
families - people like us."    Margaret Atwood

"This fine book exposes homelessness for what it truly is - a national
disgrace.  Hopefully, it will inspire all of us to do something about it."
  Alan Redway, former Canadian Housing Minister

"Jack Layton's work on homelessness has helped create a national
movement to protect and build affordable housing in Canada.  This book
helps us make the case for adequately housing all Canadians."
  Barbara Hall, Mayor of Toronto 1994 - 1997

"Layton shows that homelessness, unlike the great operatic tragedies, is
avoidable.  But like the great operas tell us, Layton shows that
individuals and communities have the power to transform misery into joy and
celebration."
  Jim Greene, British Columbia housing innovator, homelessness advocate,
and one of Peter Gzoski's "greatest minds of our time".

"This important book will push the rational debate on homelessness and
hopefully serve as a catalyst towards the creation of a national housing
strategy."
>  John Andras, Co-founder, Project Warmth
>
>*****
>
>Brief Description from the book cover:
>
>As a new century dawns, the phenomenon of homelessness has changed
and
grown at an alarming rate.  No longer confined to the occasional wanderer,
eccentric or addict, today's homeless represent 'the ragged edge of the
social fabric':  men, women and children for whom the social safety net has
all but disappeared.  Measured in terms of displaced persons, the
dimensions of the crisis rival those found during natural disasters such as
the Quebec and Manitoba floods or the great ice storm of '98.

>Barely a decade ago, world experts were giving Canada high marks for its
progressive housing policies.  What's change?  How did we get here?  What
can be done?

>Jack Layton, one of this country's leading experts and outspoken activists
on housing issues, addresses the crisis from its roots, not only to
understand the problem, but to find workable solutions.  Combining rigorous
research, compelling personal anecdote, and trenchant and timely analysis
from such wide-ranging sources as social scientists, housing economists,
mayors, hournalists, clergy and the homeless themselves, HOMELESSNESS
offers insight, perspective and proactive solutions to a seemingly
intractable crisis.

>Jack Layton is a Vice President of the Federation of Canadian
Municipalities and chairs its National Housing Policy Options Team.  His
work at the FCM has led to the development of a coalition of municipalities
from across Canada who are working together for a renewed federal housing
policy.  In his role as a Toronto City Councillor, he co-chairs the
Homeless Advisory Committee, which provides a vital policy link to front
line works and people who have experienced homelessness.  Layton has
taught
urban studies at all of Toronto's universities and is now Adjunct Professor
in the Georgraphy Department's Programme in Planning and the University of
Toronto.  He obtained his Ph.D. from York University in Political Science.

Our Web Sites have information and reports from all of our Quality of Life
Projects!
http://www.utoronto.ca/qol     http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

In the early hours I read in the paper of epoch-making projects
On the part of pope and sovereigns, bankers and oil barons.
With my other eye I watch
The pot with the water for my tea
The way it clouds and starts to bubble and clears again
And overflowing the pot quenches the fire.

 -- Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Public Health Sciences