Sender:
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:31:18 -0800
HI Dennis: Hope you're well. Congratulations on your book. It looks like a
timely and important piece. Does Penguin provide review copies? If so, I'd
be pleased to do a review. Jim

PS: Happy Hannukah , hope your little one is well.

At 07:26 AM 12/12/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear friends, I hope you'll order a copy and pass this message along to
>friends:
>
>This week, my book, "Homelessness: the making and unmaking of a crisis",
>has been published by Penguin Canada and the McGill Institute.
>
>The book outlines the rapidly growing problem of homeless in Canada based
>on personal experiences and new, unpublished data from across the country.
>You can also find analysis of how Canadians came to be faced with this
>terrible situation.  Finally, solutions developed by the best housing minds
>in Canada are pulled together into a comprehensive set of solutions based
>on a new National Housing Policy.  I have had so much help from so many of
>you in preparing this work.  Many thanks to all.  Let's hope it makes a
>difference.
>
>My royalties from the book ($1 / book) will be given to the National
>Homelessness Coalition composed of community groups across the country -
>so you'll be helping them out if you buy!
>
>How to Order:
>
>1. On-Line: You can order the book off the net through www.indigo.ca or
>other on-line booksellers.  For indigo.ca - just type in author:  "Layton"
>and title: "Homelessness". For chapters.ca, it's more difficult -  search
>'author' for Layton, and it's on the third or fourth page of the list,
>(well along the list after Irving ...).
>
>2. In Person: The volume should be on the shelves of the independent
>stores like "Pages" or "The Other Bookstore" by December 14th.  Larger
>chains should have the book a week or two later.
>
>Leave you comments on my web site:  www.jacklayon.com..  There's a
>picture of the cover there too, some powerful photos are in the book as well.
>
>If you purchase the book directly from me, the Homelessness Coalition will
>recieve not only my royalties but the difference between the retail and the
>wholesale price (i.e. about $6 - $7).  Let me know by e-mail if you are
>interested:  [log in to unmask]  We're working out mailing and payment
>arrangements just now.
>
>A "launching" will be happening in early January, details still to come.
>
>Thanks,  Jack.
>***
>Here's what people are saying about the book: "Homelessness"
>
>" An intensely honest and thoroughly documented book about living and
>dying on the streets.  And about the crafted ruthlessness of economics, the
>casual cruelty of politics, the conviction and courage of those who fight
>back."
>     Mel Watkins, Professor Emeritus of Economics and Political Science,
>University of Toronto
>
>"Homelessness used to be an issue during times of severe economic
>depression - now it's always with us, even during boom times.  Today's
>homeless population includes and alarming number of children, mothers,
>families - people like us."    Margaret Atwood
>
>"This fine book exposes homelessness for what it truly is - a national
> [...]

Dr. C. James Frankish, BC Health Research Scholar
Acting Director, Institute of Health Promotion Research
Assistant Professor, Division of Preventive Medicine & Health Promotion
Department of Health Care & Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine
University of British Columbia
Room 308, LPC Building, 2206 East Mall Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
Ph:604-822-9205  Fax:604-822-9210  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web Site http://www.ihpr.ubc.ca