Sender:
From:
Stacey Berisavac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:27:02 -0500
Hi there,
thank you for your reply.  In Ontario the government is offering free
Hep A and B shots to those at risk and who qualify, so we are not
limited to the number of people we vaccinate, they also provided us with
a lump sum of money to advertise this, however the usual methods of
advertising newspaper and radio, do not really seem applicable for this
population. Your ideas are great, thanks again!

Stacey

Stacey Berisavac
Health Promoter
Brant County Health Unit
194 Terrace Hill Street
Brantford, ON
N3R 1G7
Phone: (519) 753-4937 ext. 298
Fax:(519) 753-2140

Hi Stacy,

I work with a local needle exchange here in Edmonton and a couple a
years
ago we were given a significant amount of free Hep A doses from the
health
authority.  We were already working directly with the target population
but
still had to get the word out.  Some of the things we did:

Word of mouth-every time someone came in for an exchange we would ask
them
if they were eligible for a hep A shot.  One thing I should mention is
that
since we had a limited supply we decided that to be eligible for a shot
one
must be HIV or Hep C positive.  A person did not have to be currently
using
though.

We contacted local support groups i.e. Hep C support groups and local
agencies that also worked with the same population we did to advertise
the
vaccine.

We put posters up at agencies in the area as well and advertised at our
6
exchanges sites.

We brought the vaccination to the people rather than waiting for them
come to us.  This was done from our needle exchange van whenever there
was
a nurse present, at that time the van went out 6 nights a week between
2030
and 0030.  We set up several times in one of the inner city taverns
with
permission from the owners and gave vaccinations.  This was an
excellent
opportunity to connect with people and we always had great
participation as
we would set up a table where an outreach worker would be available to
answer questions and give out pamphlets etc.  The outreach worker also
walked around the tavern chatting with people encouraging them to get
vaccinated.  When we went to the tavern we not only offered Hep A but
Hep
B, Pneumoccoccal and Flu shots if it was the season.
We also went around to different inner city agencies and a shelter to
set
up tables and do vaccines.

This all seemed to work really well.  I think what also helped is that
Edmonton is a small community and agencies that work with high risk
populations are really well connected through committee involvement
and
this helped us get the word out.

Let me know if you have more questions,
Melanie

>Hello,
>
>I am looking for information on reaching high risk populations such
as
>IV drug users, men who have intercourse with men, individuals in jail
>etc.. The campaign is to promote the free Hep A vaccination.
>
>Does anyone have any experience, resources on marketing to this
>population?
>
>Thank you in advance for your help.
>
>Stacey Berisavac
>
>Stacey Berisavac
>Health Promoter
>Brant County Health Unit
>194 Terrace Hill Street
>Brantford, ON
>N3R 1G7
>Phone: (519) 753-4937 ext. 298
>Fax:(519) 753-2140

>Disclaimer:  This is intended for the addressee indicated above.
>It may contain information that is privileged, confidential,
>or otherwise protected from disclosure under The Municipal
>Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Act.  Any review,
>dissemination, or use of its contents by persons other than the
>addressee is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this in
>error, please notify us immediately.
>
>To unsubscribe send one line: unsubscribe click4hp to:
>To view archives or modify subscription see:
>http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/click4hp.html

To unsubscribe send one line: unsubscribe click4hp to:
[log in to unmask] . To view archives or modify subscription see: