From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 14:13:01 -0400
Ontario (and perhaps Canadian) residents who have cable television may have
received the October Feature Magazine today. You will notice that on the last
inside page, is a full-page cigarette ad. [Until just recently such ads were banned.
The Supreme Court ruled this to be 'unconstitutional']. I called up the magazine to
complain (phone number inside front cover) and then called Rogers Cable and
cancelled my subscription.  (It costs you 50 cents per month for the mag.) You may
wish to do the same.

you Lisa for the fax #) to our PM.  A similar version went to the Minister of Health.

September 20, 1996

Honorable Jean Chretian
Prime Minister of Canada
Ottawa, Ontario

Dear Prime Minister:

I am writing to urge you to bring in strong legislation to control the use of tobacco in
Canada. You should immediately do the following:

a) ban the advertising of any and all tobacco products;
b) eliminate the practice of using shell companies to advertise cigarettes.  This
includes such ploys as "Players Racing" and "DuMaurier Jazz."  Your allowing
companies to do so makes you and your government look like fools and
incompetents.
c) ban sponsoring of events by tobacco companies. Compensate the losses in
revenues to the arts by raising taxes on cigarettes.
d) require generic packaging.  Bizarre as it may sound, teens are foolish enough to
be affected by packaging.

Do this immediately.  The Canadian public will regard such activities very
favourably.

Sincerely,

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D., C.Psych.
Associate Professor