From:
Michel O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:30:50 -0300
I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT ALTERNATIVE YOU SUGGEST.I REALIZE
THE LIMITATION BUT HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO COME WITH ANYTHING BETTER MAKING
JUSTICE TO BOTH LINES (INDIVIDUAL AND BOADER STRUCTURAL CHANGES) OF WORK OF
HEALTH PROMOION THAT WOULD AT THE SAME TIME PROVIDE AN ENRY POIN SSPECIFIC
ENOUGH TO JUSSTIFY THE EXISSENCE OF HEALTH PROMOTION AS SOMETHING SPECIFIC
BEYON PUBLIC HEALTH IN GENERAL... I FIND THIS EXCHANGE VERY STIMULATING!!!

MICHEL

>I too would be loathe to define health promotion SOLELY in terms of human
>behaviour change. I recognize that Michel is choosing to define "human
>behaviour" very broadly to include a wide range of cultural, social and
>political practices that affect health (incl, presumably, powerful
>ideological and material forces such as capitalism), but my feeling is that
>the term "behaviour" carries so much conceptual baggage (in terms of
>individual lifestyle orientation) that it's perhaps not the right term to
>use to refer to this much broader agenda, unless one is very clear about
>how one is choosing to reframe it's use.
>
>blake poland
>behavioural science, univ of toronto

Bonne journee !

Michel O'Neill, Ph.D.

Professeur titulaire, Ecole des Sciences infirmieres; co-directeur,
GRIPSUL; 4108-J, Pavillon Paul-Comtois, Universite Laval, Quebec, Qc,
Canada, G1K 7P4
Telephone: +(1)-418-656-2131 #7431; Telecopieur (fax): +(1)-418-656-7747
Internet: [log in to unmask]

Co-directeur, Centre collaborateur quebecois de l'OMS pour le developpemement
de villes et villages en sante / Quebec WHO Collaborating Centre for the
development of Healthy Cities and Towns
2400 D'Estimauville, Beauport, Qc, Canada, J3G 4M4
Telephone: +(1)-418-666-7000 #461 Telecopieur (fax): +(1)-418-666-2776
Internet: [log in to unmask]