Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:24:41 +0000
Dear all,

I am currently working on a new translation of Huckleberry Finn into
Portuguese and I come to you with two doubts, which I suspect most of
you will find quite easy to answer:

1. In chapter 27, Huck, commenting on Peter Wilks's funeral, says that
it was "pison long and tiresome" - I assume "pison" here is one of the
phonetic transcriptions which are so often used in the book; however I
have had no luck looking up like-sounding words in the dictionary.

2. A few paragraphs below, Huck says: "A couple of nigger traders come
along, and the king sold them the niggers reasonable, for three-day
drafts as they called it..." - in this passage my problem is with the
expression "three-day drafts", and what usage it refers to.

I thank you all in advance,

Sara Serras Pereira