From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 02:30:41 +0000
> Hi!  I am doing a paper on Mark Twain's travelling experience and how his
> traveling affected his works.  I have looked at The Mark Twain Encyclopedia,
> a book called Traveling with Mark, and I looked in the literary criticisms
> and got some criticisms on books.  None of these books explain both his
> travel experiences and how his traveling affected his writing.  Could someone
> please tell me what other books are out there that explains both if any.
> Thank you.
>
> Aaron Fiul

Several books that you might want to look at are:

Arthur L. Scott, _Mark Twain at Large_ (Chicago: Henry Regnery Co.,
1969).

Howard G. Baetzhold, _Mark Twain and John Bull: The British
Connection_ (Bloomington: Indiana Univ. Press, 1970).

Carl Dolmetsch, _"Our Famous Guest": Mark Twain in Vienna_ (Athens,
Univ. of Georgia Press, 1992).

The first two deal with how his travels influenced his ideas and how
those ideas were expressed in his writings.  Scott's book covers the
ground most broadly and Baetzhold's focuses specifically on England
and the Empire -- which covers a lot of ground.  Dolmetsch's book
locates a number of intellectual, political and artistic influences
from Twain's experiences in Vienna that influenced his later "dark"
writings.

Jim Zwick
http://web.syr.edu/~fjzwick/