Sender:
"Health Promotion on the Internet (Discussion)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Debbie Bang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:59:29 -0400
Item Subject: Message text
> CLICK4HP participants ...
>
> I certainly admit to enjoying the "banter" about "what health promotion is all
> about", but I must admit to not always fully understanding exactly what is
meant

> by the three main players in the current discussion.  It would be more helpful
> for me, as an example ... if when Blake says "it is problematic to justify
> structural change only in terms of it's potential to bring about behaviour
> change"... there was also an example of what was meant by structural change or
> further discussion of the statement through the use of an example.  In this
> statement, how are you defining structural change?  Do you mean development of
> city wide bike paths with supporting policy, or do you mean legistrated
shorter
> work weeks, or are you talking about greater structural changes such as
changing how laws are passed or how decisions are made for the "collective
whole"?

> Abstract discussions of philosophy/approaches, theory and individual
> understandings of what health promotion means ... expand the understanding of
> all who participate.  But the operative word is participate.  There is limited
> opportunity to ask for clarification in a spontaneous way in this virtual
forum.

> It may be different for others, but I find that I have forgotten why I asked
the question (asked for clarification) by the time I get the answer!!

> My intent is not to deter people from writing, or to suggest that all
> discussions are difficult to follow or understand.  But some are!  I have just
> noticed that this particular discussion is currently dominated by few people
vs the larger number who were involved at the beginning.  I wonder if there are