From:
Jean Fremont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:19:19 -0700
Hello to Click4HP Subscribers:

Did anyone see the article "Ottawa's tobacco pork barrel" by
Terence Corcoran in The Globe and Mail on Saturday, September 28?
It appeared on page 2 of the Report on Business.

Corcoran lists and briefly outlines examples of grants
to 200 organizations who received monies from Health Canada's
Health Promotion Fund. He calls grants to many of the projects "Liberal
pork barrelling grants" and claims that there "is no reason to believe
that any of the money spent by Ottawa on tobacco research and
community action is subject to any test of effectiveness".

His column is probably available on the Globe & Mail homepage.
Since I know that many of the Click4HP people are heavily
(and rightly so) involved in the anti-tobacco campaign,
can anyone comment on his article.  Should we be looking
for a letter to the editor from someone on the list this
week rebutting Corcoran's argument. Does he have a point
about the fragmentary (and thus potentially ineffective)
way the monies from the Health Promotion Fund are dispersed?

I only know nutrition, and, based on years of
observation in that field , have a sneaking suspicion that there may be
some kernels of truth lurking somewhere in Corcoran's article.

Best Regards
Jean

Jean Fremont, R.D.      http://www.sfu.ca/~adavison/k1websit.htm
Nutrition Instructor