From:
Jane Bremner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 09:00:36 -0400
 Tracey Taylor asked...

> As a result of this situation, I now have been given the task to develop a
> departmental policy and procedure on political advocacy on health issues.
> I am interested in knowing if others have such a policy and procedure or a
> checklist of items that they use before making an advocacy decision.  Have
> other people had similar dilemmas and how did you resolve them?

I think this is a common issue for those of us who want to make a
difference not only in people's health behaviours but also in the system
or context within which these choices are made. At the Women's Health Care
Centre in Peterborough we have been frequently faced with this dilemma.
Because we are administratively accountable to Peterborough Civic
Hospital, we have been told in the past that we cannot (as staff or as
Community Advisory Board) take independent public positions on issues
which are not endorsed or supported by the Board of Governors of the
Hospital. In an attempt to outline some parameters to guide us in taking
advocacy action, we developed a position paper on "Advocating for Women's
Health" in 1993. This paper was heavily influenced by the City of Toronto
Department of Public Health "Advocacy for Basic Health Prerequisites".

"Advocating for Women's Health" outlines the rationale, a plan and
principles for advocacy action at the Women's Health Care Centre and was
intended to form the basis for identification of priority issues, and
development of an annual advocacy action plan. I say "was intended to"
because in fact, unfortunately, this plan has never been successfully
implemented. I can only guess at the reasons for this, but I think an
important one is that we never achieved the "buy-in" of the necessary
players (most importantly, the Board of Governors!). I look forward to
further discussion - good luck!

Jane Bremner B.Sc.N. M.H.Sc.
Director, Women's Health Care Centre
411 Water Street, Peterborough, Ontario