CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
BRIJITTE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:19:59 -0500
URGENT MESSAGE FROM CIDA FOR ALL INTERESTED NGOs AND INDIVIDUALS
Nov. 14, 1996

Dear Synergy on Line Subscribers,

We received this urgent message from CIDA this morning.  Although I know
that it will not get to you in time to respond or participate in the
Nov. 14, noon meeting, I thought that many of you might have useful
information to pass on to CIDA regarding their request.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Chuck Shields
Executive Director, CSIH

From: Dave Rushton at CIDA

Dear partners, if any of you or your colleagues have in depth knowledge
of and interest in Rwanda and the Great Lakes region, please feel
welcome to respond to the attached. Please note the time limits and send
your comments by e-mail, either to me or directly to the author
of this note, Julian Murray at the Rwanda Bilateral Desk. I presume
Julian's email address would be [log in to unmask]>.

Discussion meeting on Thursday, November 14 at noon room 1016, CIDA
All are welcome!

Object: HOW CAN YOU HELP CANADA AND RWANDA?

Author:  JULIAN MURRAY at AFR08.HQ.CIDA
Date:    11/07/96 10:59
This is an appeal to your corporate memories.
All of you have had a close association with the Great Lakes region in
the past few years, and I know that many of you have ideas and
experience to offer us (our basically new team) as we wrestle anew with
old issues.

We would like to convene a lunchtime meeting of those interested, to
discuss your analyses of the development problematique of the region,
and to help us draw ideas for the next phase of a Canadian strategy.
You will note that this question is broader and deeper than the
immediate conflict (which we are unlikely to influence anyway).  It
will also help us prepare for a DAC meeting at the end of November when
donors will launch a multi-donor analytical exercise on the long-term
development issues of the region.

The discussion will take place from 1200 to 1400 on Thursday 14 November
in room 1016.  This is a resolutely open forum where whoever is
interested will be welcome.

To help structure our discussion, I would like to invite you to prepare
a brief statement (strictly no more than one page - point form is ideal
- any language) containing the following:

-  What are the fundamantel elements or trends (2 or 3) of the sub-
regional development problematique

-  What are the results (again 2 or 3) that regional and donor
governments and citizens should be working towards

-  What should be the 2 or 3 strategic objectives of Canada to help the
region move towards these results

-   What are Canada's 2 or 3 comparative advantages in this exercise.

If you can bring your written views to the meeting, it will be a great
to help.

Even more ideal would be if you could send in your views to me by e-mail
by the end of Tuesday next week.  Anything received by then I can
redistribute to all the other Rwandophiles before the meeting, and this
will help ensure a lively discussion on Thursday.

One last time, this distribution list may not be exhaustive.  If you
know anyone else who would share this interest, please pass along the
message and the invitation.

Thanks for your help in this.
Myriam De Feyter
NIHR