YORK-ANNOUNCE-L Archives

York U. announcements list - READ ONLY

YORK-ANNOUNCE-L@YORKU.CA

From:
Donal Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:08:23 -0400
Greetings,

York has been experiencing Internet connectivity problems since
Saturday evening.
The following note from Onet (our internet service provider)
provides some
detailed information about our current situation.  When more info.
becomes
available we'll pass it along.

Dear All,

ONet's Toronto connection to the outside world has been experiencing
problems since Saturday at 6:00PM. A router outage at the Bell
Canada CO
halted our external POS OC3 circuit from 6:00PM until 10:30PM. Bell
engineers worked on the problem and changed the interface card on
their
router. Connectivity was restored at 10:30PM on Saturday October 16.

Our NOC however noticed that the circuit is still experiencing
intermittent problems causing frequent outages that last from 1 to 5
minutes each. We identified the problem and Bell traced it back to a
malfunctioning router chassis at the CO. Bell promised to replace
the
router and we are still waiting for a resolution. Those short
outages
are continuing and we do not have a reliable estimated time to
repair
that we can share with you as of now.

I want to apologize for this outage and I assure you that we are
working
as fast as we can to ensure that it does not happen again.

--
Sam Mokbel
Chief of Engineering