Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:24:51 -0800
I have been silent the last few months but would like to add a
discussion item. As I'm sure some of you are aware, the Federal
government recently tabled legislation based on the Tobacco Control
Blueprint. It seems to be weak in the area of sponsorship as it is still
allowed. However, the Tobacco Industry seems poised to kill this
legislation by raising controversy around the sponsorship issue, and the
decline in funding to sport and art groups. Also, while the 40% surtax
on tobacco products will continue, a mere 50 million will be for tobacco
programming/education. Why the surtax will not be used for sport and art
funding is beyond me.

Be prepared for the industry to kill some sponsorship events to raise a
panic, and other under-handed strategies. I suppose this is yet another
call to action - what more can the health community do but put pressure
on decision-makers?

On a similar vein, it has been revealed in the Globe and Mail that Mark
Lalonde, none other than the key person in developing Health Promotion
in Canada (the reason why we are dicussing HP), is registered in Ottawa
as a key lobbyist for Dunhill (cigarette manufacturer). Has any one else
heard this? My reaction is one of disgust and dismay :). It seems lately
that the tobacco fight continues to be lost, with the troops almost
decimated. Can there be some useful discussion on progress?

Signed with frustration,

Alan McFarlane
Tobacco Use Prevention Promoter
Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Public Health Department
** opinions are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those
of the Region of Hamilton-Wentworth