From:
"Gallant, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:13:00 EDT
For a faster way to send those letters to the prime minister, you can email
him:

http://canada.gc.ca/english/pmo/e_corres.htm
or fax him at 613-995-0101

The fax for Min. of Health David Dingwall is 613-952-1154

Lisa Gallant
 ----------
From: owner-click4hp
To: Multiple recipients of list CLICK4HP
Date: September 19, 1996 16:17

URGENT URGENT
URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT
URGENT URGENT
Sorry to ignore the ignited philosophical debate re: health promotion,
however a relative emergency has just arisen. As some of you may or may
not know, the federal government has been promising legislation based on
the Tobacco Control Blueprint for some time now. Meanwhile, we have lost
12 years of gains in tobacco control (latest smoking rate at 32% in
Ontario), and tobacco companies are seeing a renaissance in freedom of
advertising and sponsorships. Health Canada estimates that of Canadians
currently living, 3 million will die from tobacco related illness.

Anyway, it now seems that the Liberals are unlikely to introduce
controversial legislation before calling an election early next year. It
may take up to 10 years after this to get legislation introduced and
passed.

Known as the Tobacco Party, we must take steps aimed at Cretien  to ensure
the tobacco companies are protected no longer.

The current action steps include a two page National spread in the Globe
and Mail estimated to cost $140,000. Donations to the tune of $250 (up to
$2,500) are being sought: (416) 967-7353.  Support Letters to Cretien
demanding action are encouraged as well at:

The Right Honourable Jean Cretien
Primeminister of Canada
80 Wellington St., Langevin Block
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A2

Encouragement from our international friends would also be helpful.
This campaign is being spearheaded by almost every major organization that
has a stake in tobacco and health and physician groups (OMA).

Please help stop the madness.

Sincerely,

AM
__

Alan J. McFarlane, Tobacco Use Prevention Promoter
Department of Public Health Services
25 Main St. W. Hamilton, ON . L8N 3P6
(905) 546-2549 ; (905) 528-2205 (Fax)
__