=================== HES POSTING =========================

I can only subscribe to Wade Hands' conclusion that we need to be clear
what
SSK is and what it is not, and like to contribute a bit towards that
direction.

a) Wade suggests that "SSK is less radical when applied to a social science
like
economics than when applied to natural science" because the referents of
economic theories are social rather than natural.

It seems to me that SSK is the more radical the 'harder' is the knowledge
which it
takes as its subject matter. One of the harder areas is certainly
mathematics
and logic, and at least the 'strong programme' in SSK has paid particular
attention to these fields. Given the role of formalistic reasoning in
economics
the impact of SSK could be as radical (think of the Arrow-Debreu existence
proofs)

b) although perhaps not that widely known, Barry Barnes and David Bloor are
committed realists (see Barnes 1988 The Nature of Power, and the graduate
textbook Scientific Knowledge: A Sociological Analysis, by Barnes, Bloor
and
Henry 1996), while much of SSK in general appears to be rather hostile to a
realist position.

A vital distinction  here is between scientific knowledge being
UNdetermined and
UNDERdetermined by nature.

c) One commentator pointed to an alleged lack of willingness of SSK to
apply
its methods to itself. Well, a PhD student will be working on just that
here in
the Science Studies Unit in a couple of months, if all goes well.

Matthias Klaes

Science Studies Unit              [log in to unmask]
University of Edinburgh     Fax (+44) 131/650 6886