Sender:
"Health Promotion on the Internet (Discussion)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:23:43 -0500
Dave Burman <[log in to unmask]> wrote "I always thought the ploughed lines
in the fields were called furrows, not trenches. Silly me."  Not silly at
all!

I though long and hard about how to link this back to Health Promotion. My
first run in with the law was while driving a team of horses down a
deserted stretch of US highway. I had been ploughing (we called it
plowing) furrows. Earlier we had used shovels to dig trenches (much deeper
than furrows)  to install irrigation pipes. We also dug ditches and built
levees, but that is another story.

I guess health promotion and farming have this in common. Both have more
to do, and less to do it with, than most professions.  (with thanks to a
former U.S. economist who writes Canadian farm songs) Just think of the
possibilities if health promotion had the tobacco advertising (and
lobbying) budget to work with.

Smoke free, shovel weary, Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>