From:
Kerrie Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:32:14 -0500
There is talk around the tobacco world these days about the potential
effects of tobacco control advocacy on staff within Health Departments.
This includes the potential loss of jobs.  I am hearing this second hand  -
does anyone have any information about this?

I think this political direction could really impact upon the forward
momentum of public policy in the Environmental Tobacco Smoke arena.  When
the political will turns against departmental staff, there are significant
considerations and impacts on people at the frontline of issue specific
health promotion initiatives.

At what point do we become advocates for eachother in order to  maintain
the momentum.  I don't think this is that far off of what Ron is talking
about - maintaining our values.   There are lots of issues out there to
debate, on the front lines right now we may need some help - can this
list/conference provide some of that help?  Is this what a health promotion
conference could do?  How would or could that be done?

Kerrie Duncan