From:
grace ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 13:35:40 -0400
Dear Sam and others:
 I agree that involving kids in smoking reduction strategies has a lot of potential. Here at the Waterloo Region Community Health Department we have developed a program called "Contract for Kids" : an 8 session educational/interactive program for children in grades 5 and 6 aimed at increasing their knowledge about smoking and ETS, and training them in negotiation skills. The children then use these skills to engage family members in creating a contract for smokefree spaces in their home.  Our early evaluations have shown that as many as 80% of families whose children received the program completed a contract - some to designate the entire home as smoke free, others that designated only certain areas in the home.  The content of the contracts were left up to the families. We have the curriculum for this program, as well as its companion program Operation Smokefree (which uses older peers to deliver the curriculum), on disc, available for a nominal fee to cover costs, for interested health promoters.  You may contact me at [log in to unmask] or phone 519-883-2003 ex 5350 for more info.