From:
Grace Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:17:12 -0400
Sherrie's email moniker "stingley" is appropos.  I often feel stung (in a good
way) by her questions.  As manager in a community health department, (Violence
Prevention Program), I am more than aware of the impact that determinants of
health have on children and families.  Where I feel caught in the dilemma is the
recognition that poverty in Ontario is largely a product of government
programming and priorities around employment, housing and income support.  At
the same time another arm of government (ie health) is left to respond to the
aftermath .  When we as health promoters attempt to address the results of
poverty, we resort to providing "service" handouts, which are layered on top of,
and fuzzify the real issues.  Advocasy/communication  among government
departments is one strategy that intuitively should have some impact. So ---
What advocasy strategies  have health promoters found to be effective in this
area?    What to do to make a difference  - a REAL difference in impacting the
determinants of health?  Is it political will?  Is it lack of knowledge of what
to do? Is it courage?  Or is it just too damn difficult to address?

Some existential questioning, late on a Friday afternoon,
Grace Ross

Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]> on 08/06/99 02:43:06 PM

Please respond to Health Promotion on the Internet <[log in to unmask]>