From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 18:34:55 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 13:10:00 -0400
From: JForsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Bill C-71 - The Tobacco Act

Bill C-71 Call to Action and Update #14

TO:  Friends of Tobacco Control
  Provincial Councils on Smoking and Health
  CCSH National and Associate Members
  CCSH Executive Committee
  National Campaign for Action on Tobacco
  CAIP-funded organizations

RE:  Bill C-71 DATE: April 8, 1997

Dear Colleagues,

Attached is a letter we sent today to all Senators.  Rumour has it that a
major amendment is being proposed to the Bill to create a fund through a
levy on the tobacco industry to support public education and sponsorships
for the arts and sports groups.  Although this sounds wonderful, in order
for it to be passed, the Bill would first have to go back to Cabinet,
where they have already rejected the idea of such a fund.  It is therefore
unlikely that it would be accepted now.  Unfortunately, we do not have the
luxury of time to debate this for weeks to come if an election is called,
as it is expected within the next few weeks. We would then lose the entire
Bill.

We are therefore asking you to send a very brief note to all Senators
within the next 24-48 hours.  It should simply ask them to pass Bill C-71
without amendment so that it does not die on the Order Paper.  If you send
the note here to CCSH, we will fax it to all Senators for you.  Our fax
number is 613-567-2730.  If you can+t get through on that line, fax it to
the Clearinghouse at 613-567-5695 and they will pass it on to us.  If you
don't have access to a fax, e-mail it to us, we'll print it out, sign on
your behalf and fax it in.

For additional information please contact:

Krista Kealey (613) 567-3050 ext 328, [log in to unmask]   or
Janice Forsythe (613) 567-3050 ext. 303, [log in to unmask]

P.S.  If all [missing pharase] k you for help until we get into the
regulations!

Attached letter:

April 8, 1997

URGENT - for immediate delivery

Dear Senator:

Public hearings on Bill C-71, the Tobacco Act, have now been completed.
The Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs will
give clause by clause consideration to the bill on Thursday, April 10,
1997.

On behalf of a large number of health organizations, I am writing to urge
you to support passage of the bill without amendments.  .  With an
election approaching, any amendments may effectively kill the bill.  There
is too much at stake in terms of public health for this bill not to be
passed.  For the benefit of Canadian kids, please support Bill C-71 as it
stands.

Yours sincerely,

Janice Forsythe Executive Director

c.c. Dr. Dexter Harvey, President
 Dr. Ron Stewart, Vice-President, Public Affairs
 David H. Hill, Q.C., Past-President
 Board of Directors
 CCSH Member Organizations
 Provincial Councils on Smoking and Health
 National Campaign for Action on Tobacco
 Grassroots organizations