From:
grace ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 21:01:54 -0400
Dear Ilze,
yes, I am familiar with the package and would say that it influences the planning for programming in our Youth Health program at the Waterloo Regional Community Health Department.We strongly support community development initiatives and any efforts towards giving kids a greater say in their communities. I think the closest we have come to incorporating some of the concepts is a project called "Take Charge", where elementary age children are challenged to create a project in their school or community to respond to a health issue of their choice.  A community coalition, chaired by PHNs, and made up of 50% youth helps to provide support, a "how to" manual for the kids and create a supportive climate for the kids to do their "projects".  Originally we received a $5,000 grant to assist with publicity etc., and in the first two years of the program, approx 20 groups of youngsters took on projects to create healthier communities.  I should acknowledge that this project was inspired by a similar project in Simcoe County, also run by the Health Department there.

If you would like more information please contact me and I can forward the manual, informal evaluations and put you in contact with the PHNs who spearheaded the project.

Just by-the-by, your manual reached us at the School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University of London England, where it was held up as a model during my stint in the Masters in Health Promotion Program.

Cheers,

Grace Ross
Manager, Youth Health Program
Waterloo Regional Community Health Department.
99 Regina Street, 3rd Floor,
Waterloo, Ont, N2J 3Z8

(519) 883-2003 Ex 5350