Sender:
From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 23:53:25 -0400
Greetings,

Michel is correct, CLICK4HP will soon celebrate its first anniversary on
May 1st 1997.  The list-serv went 'on-line' in April with promotion and
notices about the list 'starting' as of May 1.  Much to the surprise of
Liz Rykert and I (but not Sam Lanfranco who had much more experience
with lists) about 50 people subscribed to CLICK4HP in April before any
notices went out.  We assume that those people searching for new e-mail
lists were intrigued by the title of "Health Promotion on the Internet"
and signed up 'sight unseen'.  By May 2nd there were over 100 people
from around the world who had subscribed and 12 people had posted
introductory messages. Within 13 days the number of subscribers passed
365!

 We had originally thought that the CLICK4HP list would be a short-term
discussion of the uses of computer-mediated communication for health
promotion, and for exploring a virtual workspace - as a lead-in to a
session we were doing on the topic at the Canadian Public Health Assoc.
conference in early July.  It quickly became apparent that the list had
a life of its own, involving people from many fields and interests and
covering widely diverse topics in the general realm of health promotion.
The list has become a source of information and announcements, a place
for discussion and debate, and a link to other related ventures. It is
not a simple task to summarize the content, the topics and processes
that have taken place in this year. In just the month of March 1997,
there were 72 messages which were wide ranging including: health
promotion practice, the relationship between our work on-line and in
communities, the Tobacco Bill and smoking advocacy, religion and public
health, educational videos, various updates and announcements,
discussion on evaluation of advance directives, Ontario public health
guidelines, and requests for HP bibliography entries and bone marrow
donors!

To mark the first anniversary of CLICK4HP I have been planning some
highlights of the past year's hottest topics, announcements and
discoveries. [Not a detailed content analysis nor the makings of a
Master's thesis!]  These summaries would be enriched by *your*
reflections and analysis about what you have learnt over this year on
the list. **Please consider posting a message with your thoughts on
click4hp and health promotion on the Internet.**  Some people may find
it easier to send such reflections to the list co-facilitators rather
than posting to the whole list. We will compile these notes and prepare
a summary for May 1st.

Other CLICK4HP activities in the works:
A web-site coming soon!  With luck and perseverance the archives or at
least edited versions of the major topics may soon become available on a
web-site about CLICK4HP, along with subscription help and a FAQ
(frequently asked questions) sheet.
An Ontario Health Promotion E-mail list and 'electronic bulletin board'
for announcements and discussion of Ontario health promotion  activities
and projects is being developed by the Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
in collaboration with the Centre for Health Promotion.

Thank you Michel and many others for your support, contributions and
encouragement for the CLICK4HP list.

Alison
for the click4hp 'triumvirate'

Alison Stirling, co-facilitator CLICK4HP

Liz Rykert, co-facilitator CLICK4HP

Sam Lanfranco, support and 'background facilitator' CLICK4HP