From:
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 16:33:13 -0400
At 11:16 AM 6/3/97 +0000, Bob Jeffery wrote:

>Some of the comments the list has provided about learning communities
>have stimulated me over the last month or so to do more reading,
>thinking but not much chatting yet with others.

In doing some of my own poking around re: learning communities I came across
this reference on the Web site of the Centre for Health Promotion at the
University of Toronto:   http://www.utoronto.ca/chp/chp/sustainability.html

Sustaining the Effort: Building a Learning Community
Joe Flower and Tyler Norris. 1994. 16 pages. Available on the Internet.

This article is based on interviews with 12 leaders involved with Healthy
Communities type projects in North America and Europe. The question posed to
each was the following: "How do we build something that lasts?" Out of their
experiences, they provided answers that the authors found to be sometimes
predictable but sometimes remarkable. For example, "There is such a thing as
too much money"; "Sometimes the best way to deal with a troublesome outsider
is to bring them inside"; and "Sometimes to sustain a project, the leader
has to leave". Those interviewed included Trevor Hancock, Leonard Duhl, and
Marilou McPhedran. The entire module 'Sustaining the Effort' can also be
purchased through the Healthcare Forum for $95 US.

This article is part of Module 4 of the Healthier Communities Action Kit and
is available on-line at
http://www.well.com/user/bbear/sustain.html
If you do not have access to the Internet, please contact:
Healthcare Forum
San Francisco, California
Ph: (415) 356-4300 Fx: (415) 356-9300.

Bob also noted:
>The questions that Peter O'Donnell posed with respect to this list
>serve and whether or not we are a learning community has taken me a
>little further into applying the reading and thinking and now with
>some comments about all the people out there who are reading with
>only a few commenting I thought I would like to let others know that
>us "shy" people may be getting useful information, contacts and new
>ideas.

So in other words we learn by "lurking" as well as participating in online
workspaces when we think about how Click4hp functions as a learning community.

Theresa also commented on this:

>Its hard to get people to contribute it seems - when I hear how many of us
>subscribe and yet see that only a few contribute - its just like the
>experience of trying to facilitate a community meeting  when no one is
>talking.

So it might be useful concentrate on Peter's second question:

* How do you see your role and contribution to such an undertaking?

So far we have heard - sharing the facts - ideas - resources
but I have heard other comments from people for example:

"I work alone most of the time I see Click4hp as the place I can connect
with my colleagues to get a sense of belonging" or "I felt so supported when
I was able to find the resources just when I needed them."

I have been doing some thinking about roles - particulary based on group
theory - in online workspaces - so I am curious to hear how people see thier
roles and contributions to the learning community known as Click4hp...if you
are out there reading this and considering jumping in for the first time -
make the leap - let us know who you are and join in - we all welcome your
thoughts and ideas...;-)

regards, Liz Rykert