From:
theresa schumilas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:34:54 -0500
This posting is intended to speak to some of the comments Sam made in a
posting of Feb 15.  In my paid work, I'm one of the senior management people
in the establishment who "don't get it" thats referred to in that posting.
Actually, I would more accurately describe myself as "really trying to get
it - amid chaos, confusion and crisis".

In my earlier days (before I was a faceless and empty hearted bureaucrat) I
was intimately involved in an array of community empowering projects - some
from my paid work and some as a volunteer.  Now, I have the privilage and
responsibility of directing (within the Waterloo Region Community Health
Department) a team of 60 people and associated resources toward the goal of
creating healthy and supportive communities.  I try to remember and submerge
myself in the grounded community work as often as I can (in between fighting
for people's jobs) because this activity reminds me of the principles that
underly all my actions.

The tone of the posting I refer to sounds angry and frustrated, and I know
that tone well.  I think there are 2 - very different - problems.  One
problem  is that there are people who we have placed into positions of
authority who have no grounding in human values - in fact, people who have
been explicitly taught to keep their personal and work lives separate (as
though one's values and beliefs can be separated in such a manner.)  These
people still believe that information is power, and that competition rules.
In my experience, the only way to "win" over these people is to lead by
example - and that takes a long time,  a lot of personal energy and a lot of
clarity in ones's actions.  Frankly, I personally struggle with whether
these people are worth the effort.

The other problem is one of "getting it" even when you want to. There are
senior managers,  like me - who are trying to make decisions based in a set
of explicit values and principles.  We are very isolated and we need the
support of people like you to make the shift to fully using this technology.
You seem to feel like your work is vulnerable (the should you be hit by a
snow plough thing).  I can relate -  I was on a   self-funded leave last
year (in this community I'd refer to this as being hit by a horse and buggy)
and returned to see that one of the most community building projects I had
started had been dropped to lower priority, leaving the community partners
frustrated and bitter.  After an original bout of  anger though, I realized
that this was MY fault - not the fault of my temporary replacement.  I had
NOT established these projects with a vision of long term sustainability.  I
had foolishly placed myself "in control" of key processes, rather than
taking my role "out of the loop".  So, under the guise of empowerment, I had
created dependency.    Its an easy mistake to make - especially when one
works daily within a system that has a diffuse intelligence to perpetuate
status quo.

I want you to know that a lot of us are trying to "get it" - and we are as
frustrated as you.  In my experience, we need cultural interpreters.  When I
work with community groups (in the literal world as you call it) I always
look for that person in the group who can act as the bridge between the
bureaucratic  and the informal.  Its that person who can understand both
cultures.   I think we need that kind of person with this internet stuff.  I
feel like I've been trying to get it - I've bought books galore - and I get
halfway through and throw it down - the jargon is thick and I want to reject
the trick of holding onto power through language. I've spend lots of time
surfing - but end up feeling like a passive consumer instead of a producer.
I've enrolled on listservs to try to "learn by lurking" - but there always
feels  like there is a powerful "in group"  prepared to judge me instead of
seeing my capacity.  (And what is so ironic to me, is that these very
barriers are the kinds of things that community and disenfranchised groups
raise back to me when I work with them.)

In my paid work, I want to make a strong committment of resources to using
electronic vehicles and strategies as complimentary to our "walking the
streets" and "door to door" approaches.     I want to learn enough to be a
translator of this stuff, so I can be one of the "champions" within  my
(modest, not rich) institution and increase access for others.

So, first I'm interested in the infodev forum, and I've send the message to
get enrolled. It returned with some error - but so far I have not let my
bumbling stupidity halt me -  I'll try again.

But further - I'd like to dialogue more to try to figure out this stuff.
I'm ignorant about the technology - but I have a lot of (maybe too much)
"inside" experience with bureaucracy, and I know how it works.  One of the
barriers within institutions at the moment, I think, is that everything is
ends oriented.  Process is secondary. We have to continually fight (and
sometimes lie) to continue community development work - because this
requires "faith" that people are solutions - not problems.  Institutions are
not big on faith in people.  I see the electronic workspace as a similar
problem.  In an environment where short term efficiency rules - its
difficult even for us "champions" to argue for strategies where the "up
front" learning curve and investment is great - and the short term outcomes
are questionable.   So, don't judge me please - understand my environment,
and help me make the case.

Thanks for the opportunity.  (By the way, this was my first ever listserv
posting !)

Theresa Schumilas
Director,
Family and Community Resources