CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 00:50:04 -0400
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 06:11:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ronald E. LaPorte from Pittsburgh" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: New on the IPPF/WHR Homepage - http://www.ippfwhr.org

Friends,

We now have the first few lectures on the web for our global health
network supercourse on epidemiology, the Internet and global health.  THe
target audicence will be students in medicine, public health, pharmacy,
veternary school, nursing, etc...any students world wide who would need a
beginning course s uch as this.  Some of you may have already received
this announcement through other lists.

We received initial comments on the first lecture, and we were very
pleases how positive they were.  We would very much like to have your
opinion on the first 3 lectures.  The lectures are at:

www.pitt.edu/~super1/lecture1
www.pitt.edu/~super1/lecture2
www.pitt.edu/~super1/lecture3

FOr each lecture we have included an electronic peer-review form that you
can complete to point out what problems there may be with th e lectures.
WE have been very pleased that even without mirrored servers across the
world, such as in Africa and Asia, the lecture comes down quickly.  We
will be setting thus up on mirrored servers in the next few months.

We want to develop a new format for review.  Therefore at the end of the
form we ask you if we could put your comments up on the web, as we want
not only us, but the world to see the concerns about the content and
style, which we will address when an updated model is produced (sort of
like Epidemiology/Internet Windows beta version 98!).  In this manner we
can continuously improve the course with global input.

WE are pleased to have received considerable interest from Africa.  At
least 3 centers in Africa have expressed an interest in providing a
course.

The initial lectures will be modified and translated first into Spanish
and Japanese...

We would hope that you would come and visit.

Also, it would be great if we could have you give a lecture..

thanks

Ronald E. LaPorte, Ph.D.
Director, Disease Monitoring and Telecommunications
WHO Collaborating Center
Professor of Epidemiology
Graduate School of Public Health
University of Pittsburgh