From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:56:55 -0400
Forwarded Message:
From: david black <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:25:54 -0400
Subject: health inequalities
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Dennis Raphael
Thanks for posting an interesting and useful overview of the issues around
a public health response to inequalities. Tthe three p's were particularly
resonant. My colleque Sue Laughlin and myself did a piece of work in 95/96
for the Public Health Alliance (Publication called Poverty and Health:
Tools for Change, ideas, analysis, information, action this was based on a
study into community based action on health inequality issues in britain)
Our findings fitted into the three P's. There was lots of participation at
the community level, with some support from local public health/health
promotion and local authorities very limited political action although
opportunities were beginng to emerge (this was the dog days of the Major
administration} and very little co-ordinated policy. The local authorities
often had poverty policies with no real reference to health, the health
authorities often opportunistically funding small poverty / inequality
projects but having no overall strategy.

Underneath this there are a huge raft of committed community projects
struggling on. Within the HFA movement in Britain we found a couple of
interesting examples: one in particular here in Glasgow, the development of
the Glasgow Womens Health Policy is a very good example of how policy
development can be driven from the bottom up particulary when a supportive
structure within the organisations can be developed.

Copies of the book are available from
Public Health Alliance
138 Digbeth
Birmingham B5 6DR
 tel +44 121643 7628
fax +44 121643 4541
e-mail [log in to unmask]

There is material in the book about the Glasgow stuff although it has grown
a great deal since then and is now being used by WHO Europe as a model. If
you would like more info on this contact me

best wishes

david black

David Black,
Communicable Health,
22 King Street,
Glasgow Scotland.
Tel/Fax: +44 141 552 0415
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

  From new transmitters came the old stupidities.
  Wisdom was passed on from mouth to mouth.
            -Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Acting Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101