From:
Eberhard Wenzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:47:19 +1000
On  1 Dec 97 at 12:01, d.raphael wrote:

> In Ontario, we see the poorest of the poor having their
> incomes cut by 22%, hostel use increasing by 50%, and food
> banks doing a booming business...

Dennis, I guess this applies to other so-called developed countries as well.
Social inequalities is the effect of current governmental policies in many
countries.

> If we, health promoters who should know better, do not speak
> out, what hope do any of us really have?

Perhaps, many don't speak out because they do not see health promotion related
to these societal processes. I do speak out on these issues in my teaching, and
quite often I get a response like *We can't do anything about it, so why do we
have to talk about it?*

The individualization of social processes is working effectively, and many
governments and international organizations support this kind of
individualization in their policies and programs. No wonder that people get
some kind of brainwashed.

Eberhard Wenzel MA PhD
Griffith University
Australian School of Environmental Studies
Nathan, Qld. 4111
Australia
Tel.: 61-7-3875 7103
Fax:  61-7-3875 7459
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW Virtual Library Public Health at:
    http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/eberhard/vl/index.htm

Oppenheimer's Observation:
The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds,
and the pessimist knows it.