From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:59:22 -0400
David Seedhouse's Health: the Foundation of Achievement
(1986) ends off where his new book begins.  It is a
thoughtful examination of various conceptions of health.  It
previews his latest 1997 book in that he argues that health
is primarily providing the various foundations of human
potential: education, choice, meaning, employment, shelter,
etc.  In this approach he focuses on the prerequsities of
health (prior to the Ottawa Charter!) and argues that life
style choices should be relatively minor concerns for health
workers.

Highly recommended. (I bought my copy in Manchester -- where
David received his PhD).

  From new transmitters came the old stupidities.
  Wisdom was passed on from mouth to mouth.
            -Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Acting Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101