From:
Paul Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 07:08:56 +0000
Mike Nelson wrote:

> This is intended as a public letter to Deborah and those in charge of the
> National Health Population Clearinghouse Initiative.  I am never sure
> whether these letters go where intended.
>
> Deborah rather than answer your questions, I am more concerned to
> understand the aims and objectives of the national initiative.   I am very
> concerned with the use of the term intermediaries in your questions.  I
> have the uneasy feeling that someone believes that a single national
> intermediary can replace the multiple channels that currently exist.  A
> variety of national, provincial-level and local voluntary organizations
> derive much of their support from the role they play in helping people and
> groups access, organize and interpret information.  If a single centre uses
> the new IT to cut out the "middle men" it will be seriously undermining the
> role the voluntary sector plays in developing community responses to
> "information", in generating new information, and in interpreting and
> making relevant information within the local context.

You all may be interested in the approach taken by the Office of Disease
Prevention and Health Promotion within the United States Department of
Health and Human Services.  They set up a "gateway" to assist consumers
surfing for health information.  The long term strategy is for
government to play a defined, but limited role.  Private and independent
sector "partners" are then encourage to "add value".

Paul Lee
health citizen