Sender:
From:
David Gourlay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 08:43:56 PST
Hello all:

I'm glad Alana posted her note. I think she raises an important question
and I'd liek to add my voice. I am certianly not a qualified voice or a
professional. I hold no formal education in health administration or
promotion, nor do I have years of experience in a professional capacity.

What I do have though is creative energy, commitment and vision. I
recognize the emerging potential of health promotion and even population
health as well and would like to be a part of the process in ensuring it
is a common and integral part of the health system.

"You health promotion types are all a bunch of left-wing fanatics who
don't understand the realities of modern government! Now, let's sit down
and talk about your proposal."

I do not think that advocacy has to be adversarial at all. In fact, it
can be quite effective, if it is approached in a positive and determined
manner. I agree that when "we" advocate, our language and tone is too
confrontational and scathing. I do not like or agree any more than than
the rest of us what the likes of Harris and Klein have done, but I do
not think they have instituted the policies thay have to choke the poor
any more than they already are or limit access to institutional care or
education. Instead, they initiate actions based on their political
ideology which does not place much emphasis on these social values. Is
that fair ? Is that just ?

Well, folks..we voted them in. We have to live with it for a term of
four years and while we can do a lot of advocacy, when we use
tempermental language and vile rhetoric, we are playing their game just
as much as they are !

I think we, as health promoters shoudl recognize one fundamental
principle. The values of our national health system changes
with the society and must remain flexible to adopt to this change. A
fundamental role in this flexibility is the democratic elements. We must
be advocates, maybe even political activists and we should be arguing
points, making suggestions.

However, I don't think opposing for the sake of opposing helps our
cause. It is better to pick our battles and yes, there are many these
days. But, health promoters are crucial to the system and must approach
advocacy with a positive tone an attitude not to simply be aggressive,
but to initiate change through effective political communication.

As such, this can be done to affect change as health promoters.
Positive strategies are technical and legislative ideas and proposals
which are taken to government, opposition parties and significant
special interest groups with the goal of having the government adopt
them in policy platforms. This rewquires effective communication devices
and policy development skills.

I am probably not stating anything we don't already know. However, we,
as health promoters and activists have much to contribute to the debate
in provinces such as Ontario and Alberta. After all, a system with
promotion as a service structure based on population based determinants
will address current inequities and injustices which result because of
an emphasis on traditional institutional care.

I respectfully submit that our approach and tone be modified, as Alana
suggested, to reflect the political culture and policy processes which
mark the governments in power.

Thank you Alana for your question. I'm glad you asked what most were to
afraid to raise. I hope my commentary provokes reaction.

David Gourlay